Sunday 2 March 2014

A few words II: Blog Challenge 11

This is a post written in response to a Blog Challenge for which I was nominated by Vicky Papageorgiou. A challenge indeed since Art Least's mission statement describes a teacher resource blog that explores the use of art in the efl context; it is not meant to be a personal or professional reflection blog. Vicky is, however, a worthy colleague and dear social media friend, with whom we share a common love for art and I have tried to respond in a way as faithful as possible, I hope, to both Art Least's genre, and to her expectations. 

This kind of writing is completely strange to me; I fear I'm an utter disaster. Actually, it is the first...and last time time I'm responding to such a challenge. 

11 Random facts about myself


A family person
Picasso, Family of  Saltimbanques 1905

 

At times over analytical
Favourite pastime: drawing on stones










Unkindness

and arrogance 
 deeply annoy me



Elizabeth Polzleitner's tagxedo
I go through frantic work phases 






 

...but at times 
 appreciate 
a bit of idleness 

 
Reading Foucault and Freire 
has changed my way of reading the world

Visible Thinking Routines for Blogging
Visible Thinking Routines have provided me with a working methodological framework that truly fascinates me. 

Visible Thinking Routines for Blogging


During the past month through blogging and social networking I have "met" amazing educators and bloggers. I hope one day I meet them in person! Here they are (in order of making the contact)


On the road, Messinia, Peloponnese
On the road, Argolida, Peloponnese

Leros island
    
I enjoy taking  photos 
Evinos river, West Greece
On the road, Arcadia, Peloponnese

      
Mercado de San Miguel, Madrid

Vicky Papageorgiou's 11 questions:

1. Name a book that made you cry.


2. Name one book that you...regret having read.

Honestly, I can't remember one.

3. Name your favourite song and tell us why.




Because of the multitude of threads embedded in it: blues, gospel, hymnals, jazz, Civil Rights Movement, Nina Simone's personal tumult and anger. Because of the Thomas Crown Affair film.

 4. Which city or country in the world could you easily live in, apart from your current city?

http://whc.unesco.org/en/list/320



I think Barcelona

Photo by Tom Wilkinson "Zapp English"


5. If you weren't an educator, what else would/could you be?

I have no idea, classroom feels like home to me.

6. What is the riskiest thing you have ever done in your life?

Not the risky type really.

7. Describe your favourite library: where is it, how is it, why do you like it?
The IOE Newsam library in London. Huge educational archives and resources. So glad I was given the opportunity of studying there.

8. If you could write a book what would it be about?

Growing up in rural and urban Greece stretching from the post World War II era to civil war conflict, and post-civil war reconstruction through my father's memories.


9. Which is your favourite ELT website?


10. An embarrassing moment in your professional career. When, where, what?

I had to teach in an early phase in my professional career in a Technical School with 200 men, most of them older than me. Pretty uncomfortable in the beginning though an invaluable experience in terms of classroom management.

11. Describe one of your best moments in your teaching career. 

The 4 years I worked as an adult educator in a Second Chance School for adults from socially vulnerable groups who had not completed compulsory education. They profoundly shaped and redefined me as a person and as an educator.

2 comments:

Anna Costikoglou said...

Thank you once more, Chrysa! Your description couldn't have been more artistic and interesting!:)

Chrysa said...

Happy you liked it Anna. As I have already said, this post was indeed a challenge!